Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Much Ado About Something


Aside from homophobes, I guess I was the last one to see Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain". With a home theater and DVDs selling for cheaper than two movie tickets, I lose inspiration to brave the seat kicking, cell phone ringing, adolescent chit chat that often accompanies the multiplex experience. Unfortunately for movies like Brokeback Mountain I have been listening to hype (and criticism) for months on end. By the time I shove that shiny piece of plastic into my DVD player I have a ton of preconceived notions about what I am about to see.

Even without seeing the movie I was surprised as anyone that after Ang Lee won Best Director the film didn't take home the big prize. I have to admit that most of the directing appeared to be filming in beautiful natural surroundings. In my opinion, the only real bold film making was the up close and in your face filming of the sensual moments. Aside from those unflinching moments it was pretty standard western stuff (like Lee's "Ride With The Devil").

For as long as I can remember I've always had gay friends. Because of that I've always been a supporter of gay rights including god forbid the right to be married. I've never understood the persecution of gay people. Name the top 10 ills of society and show me what gay people have to do with them. If I hear another religious zealot use the phrase "sanctity of marriage" I will go postal. Sanctity? What's the divorce rate in this country? Gay marriage couldn't possibly do any worse than hetero marriages. Gay people are not out to recruit your sons and daughters. They are simply trying to lead a normal human being life. If you let them get married they won't be humping in the streets or cruising junior high schools looking for tail.

So after that diatribe I must have loved the movie, right? After watching the film and rolling it around in my head I've decided it's probably more of an important film than a great film. It's another step to get this issue out in the open and increase dialogue. Anything that puts a crack in the homosexual stereotype has to be a good thing. Heath Ledger's performance is great and was probably Oscar worthy. Jake Gyllenhaal performance was brave but rarely brilliant. The main complaint I hear about this film is that adultery is wrong no matter the circumstances. That opinion is missing the point. These guys wanted to be together but society wouldn't allow it. They were in love before they ever got married. They were forced to keep their love hidden and out of society's watchful eye. In essence society is to blame for their adultery. I'm sure there are thousands of men today in heterosexual relationships who are truly gay. My main complaint was that Jack Twist's (Jake Gyllenhaal) death was extremely anti-climatic. I realize the story is more of Ennis' journey than Jack's but it was a wasted emotional moment. To be honest I cheered more for the relationship in Crying Game than Brokeback Mountain. I just hope that this movie's message is what endures rather than the film itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home